[NIFL-FAMILY:589] Re: Attitudes in schools

From: MWPotts2001@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 15:47:45 EST

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:47:45 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: MWPotts2001@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:589] Re: Attitudes in schools

Colleen,

Please don't think that your schools are the only ones in which teachers find
it difficult to understand the needs of low-literacy adults.  The attitudes
you describe and the kinds of behavior of teachers and other staff members
towards these parents is not uncommon.  That reality was the basis for my
questions about introducing family literacy programs in the schools and about
PACT Time.  There have been  many excellent responses from the moderaters and
practitioners which emphasize the need for education of the educators.

This is not to place blame; I am a strong teacher advocate (having been one
myself for many years), but I know (since I also taught at the university
level) that teacher education is lacking in the preparation needed to work
with  parents who struggle with literacy issues.  I have to admit that I once
thought that parents who didn't come to Open House just didn't care.  I never
realized in my early years of teaching that some of the parents of my
students couldn't read the notes I sent home. Shame on me, but thank goodness
I had the opportunity to learn that lesson.

So, it seems very necessary that the family literacy staff work in full
partnership with teachers in elementary grades to enhance their understanding
of our participants.
The points made about custodians and cafeteria staff are also worth
remembering.  These staff members can encourage or discourage adult
participation in family literacy programs, either by their actions or their
words.  They must be included in staff development efforts that are focused
on preparation for parent-as-learner entry into the schools.

Meta Potts
Glendale, Arizona