[NIFL-FOBASICS:198] EFFstandards

From: ralph silva (silva_ralph@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 1999 - 21:06:04 EST

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 21:06:04 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ralph silva" <silva_ralph@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:198] EFFstandards

	In Regie Stite and Sondra Stein's excellent articles, we can follow the
history of adult standards development, and get an idea of the inherent
problems in standards based learning. What strikes me most concerns the
three identified EFF standards;  content standards (what adults need to
know), performance standards (how much they need to know, and how we measure
that), and  opportunity-to-learn standards (how we facilitate learning so
that there is access and equity). Regie talks about the early demise of OTL
standards, and the co-mingling of content standards and performance
standards.
	Here's my question. Are we moving toward a situation in which the careful
and painstakingly developed EFF standards will turn into just another set of
rigid results check-offs? How do we keep that from happening?
	Here's another. If you had to eliminate one of the EFF standards
categories; content, performance, or OTL, which one would you choose? Why?
rs