[NIFL-FOBASICS:157] collected resources

From: Heidi A.C. Watson (haw6@psu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 10:42:29 EDT

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:42:29 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Heidi A.C. Watson" <haw6@psu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:157] collected resources

Thank you to every one who assisted me in putting together a list of
resources for low level readers.
I have put all the responses together for those of you who would like to
have it.

*******************
Are you familiar with the Wilson Reading Program?  We are using it at our
adult ed site to help low level and non readers learn to read.  It is phonic
based and has been very successful with our adult population.  If you would
like more information on this program, I can put you in touch with our Wilson
trainer and coordinator, Judy Storer.

From: Pam Meader
Email: Mdr151@aol.com
Portland Adult Education
Portland, Maine

*****************************

The AVKO website (http://www.avko.org) has a number of freebies as well as a
catalog of curriculum materials that were designed for the teaching of adult
dyslexics.  At our free reading clinic we have found that adults respond
especially well to Word Families in Sentence Context.  The sentences promote
"thinking" while reading, in other words, comprehension while helping the
adult lock in on specific patterns.  The best part about this book is that
the tutor only works with those patterns the adult student needs to learn.

From: Don McCabe, Research Director
Email: DonMcCabe@aol.com
AVKO Educational Research Foundation
3084 W. Willard Road, Suite W
Clio, MI 48420-7801
Phone: (810) 686-9283
FAX: (810) 686-1101

*****************************
 I read your posting requesting information on reading material
for low-level readers, and, while we have nothing to add to the many
publishers of such materials, such as New Readers Press, with which I'm sure
you're familiar, we are writing to ask that you visit our web site to see how
we are trying to reach the millions who have not, or can not, come out to get
help from the traditional literacy providers. That site is
http://www.literacy-now.org
We would appreciate any comments you, might have on our efforts. Thank you.

From: Jack Fenimore
From: Litrcynow@aol.com

********************************
Since Tailored Reading, a primarily tutorial system I have been developing for
many years, is age neutral; it works with at-risk readers of any age. Key
in the
method is to find and fill gaps in word knowledge (sightwords, phonics, and
vocabulary), which almost magically improves comprehension. I have begun a web
site to share these ideas which you can find at:

http://tailoredreading.cjb.net/  or
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Cyprus/8493/Homepage.htm

I'd love to have feedback on the ideas. More of the system will be added in the
near future

"Jeffrey B. Reiter"
jefcar@herald.infi.net

********************************
I look to language experience writing as a means towards getting learners
involved in texts (their own) and then bridging to other basic level
readings.  Linmore publishing has a number of good titles; they're on the
ESOL page of my site.

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Swearer_Center/Literacy_Resources/

Janet Isserlis
Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu
Literacy Resources/RI

I am an adult ed. Teacher.  We use a strong phonics program for
those just learning to read (ex. Hooked on Phonics).  Then I use the
Barnell Loft Specific Skills series of books.  They cover everything from
phonics to  drawing conclusions, etc.  The Specific Skills come in every
level from picture level to 12th grade reading level.  They are excellent.
The stories in them are extremely interesting and many times factual.
They really appeal to adults.  You won't find non-sense pictures and
stories in them...so they are great for adults.  These little mini books
have questions also,  but they are perfect for using over and over,
because it is very easy to write the answers on separate paper.
The publisher is Barnell Loft,
958 Church St., Baldwin, NY 11510

Micki Hendrix,
Selmer, Tennessee
hendrixm2@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us

LVA has a catalogue full of resources for tutors and program managers
working with low-level learners.  You can obtain a catalogue by calling
1-800-LVA-8812, or by visiting our web site at www.literacyvolunteers.org.

Marsha L. Tait, President
Literacy Volunteers of America, Inc.
635 James St.
Syracuse, NY  13203
(315) 472-0001
www.literacyvolunteers.org
mtait@literacyvolunteers.org

Linmore Publishers (800-336-3656) and New Readers Press (80-448-8878) are
both good places to start for actual texts, and most of the larger
publishers (Addison Wesley, Oxford, etc., will generally have series of
"graded" readers.

While they are geared to adult ESL learners (although many of the
suggestions and principles are viable for native English speakers too) we
have two ERIC digests that we've done, one on working with low level adults
and one on the Language Experience Approach, that the person might find
informative.  S/he can request them directly from us, or view them on our
website at http://www.cal.org/ncle/digests/.  There's also a digest there
that discusses using multicultural children's literature with adults.

Also, check the International Reading Association's Journal of Adolescent
and Adult Literacy.  There have been various articles over the last five
years or so on using LEA, big books, etc. with beginning adult readers.

MaryAnn Cunningham Florez
Program Associate
National Clearinghouse for ESL Literacy Education (NCLE)
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, DC 20016-1859
202-362-0700, ext. 226
maryann@cal.org

I'm responding to your request for information on reading materials
for very low level readers.  Of course, the Laubach Way to Reading is a
very popular instructional series for the lowest-level readers and
writers.  I do not know what research, if there is any on this series,
says about this method.  New Readers Press, the publisher, also recently
has introduced another series for very low level readers (though not
quite as basic as Laubach) called "Voyager."  While I haven't reviewed
this thoroughly, it does not use controlled vocabulary as Laubach does
and may use words a little more immediately useful to students.  Please
let us know what you all find works best!

Steve Zach, literacy coordinator
szach@stic.lib.tx.us
Harris County Public Library
8080 El Rio Street
Houston, TX 77054
713-749-9000
FAX 713-749-9090

Heidi Watson
Sr. Research Technologist
Institute for the Study of Adult Literacy
College of Education
The Pennsylvania State University
102 Rackley Building
University Park, PA 16802-3202