[NIFL-FOBASICS:134] Re: accountability balance

From: John Comings (John_Comings@harvard.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 11:22:28 EDT

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:22:28 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: John Comings <John_Comings@harvard.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:134] Re: accountability balance

Ralph Silva wrote:

> When we think about all the accountability scenarios presented in Juliet
> Merrifield's piece; is there a hierarchy of accountabilities? On page 10 she
> says, "Reforming accountability requires moving from one-way, top-down lines
> of accountability to a mutual web of accountability
> relationships...(changes) will require federal and state government
> departments to consult with the field and with stakeholders."
> How can these goals be implemented in a way that both honors the mission (of
> ABE) and satisfies funders and legislators?

Funders may want a lot less than we think.  It seems to me that our
field has interpreted the call for accountability to mean that we
must measure increases in skill and improvements in the lives of
every adult student.  In fact, I believe that funders are asking a
simple question: "What do we get for our investment in ABE/ESL/GED
programs?"  We can answer this question by looking at a small number
of our students, but looking at them in-depth with assessment and
evaluation tools that could uncover a wide range of impacts and
outcomes.  Rather than collecting a little bit of data on all
students, we would collect a lot of data on a few students.  I think
this could be done well with the existing resources being put into
accountability systems.  The results might not make us look very good
to our funders, but if it was done right it would also identify ways
to improve performance.  Funders, in Juliet's way of thinking, would
then be responsible for providing the resources needed to make those
changes.

We still need to be responsible to our students and that requires a
different set of assessment tools to help them identify their
strengths and weaknesses and measure their own progress.  I see this
as a much more difficult assessment task than the accountability for
funders.

John Comings                     Phone: 617.496.0516
NCSALL -- Nichols House          Fax:   617.495.4811
7 Appian Way                     Email: John_Comings@harvard.edu
Graduate School of Education     Web:   http://gseweb.harvard.edu/~ncsall
Harvard University
Cambridge MA 02138