[NIFL-FOBASICS:92] Playdough

From: The Cornwell's (cornwell@megalink.net)
Date: Sun May 09 1999 - 12:59:30 EDT

Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 12:59:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "The Cornwell's" <cornwell@megalink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:92] Playdough

Mary,

You may not need to be that creative.  A person with strong spatial
intelligence will naturally gravitate toward playdough, crayons, legos,
potato chips, tape measures, boxes or beads  (maybe not all but certainly
some).  Try bringing unorthodox materials into class that might stimulate a
variety of intelligences (a tape player, video camera, musical instrument,
pictures, crackers, ear of corn, live animal, whatever) and see what
happens.  Say, "show me what you know about....  Use anything in the room
you want." You could even come right out and ask, "What does this have to
do with math? (or English or the price of apples).  You might be surpirsed
at the answers.  Your students probably already possess the creativity.
You'll just need enough knowledge of the subject matter to provide a rough
sense of direction.  Some of my favorite lessons have happened when I've
brought interesting materials into class with only a rough idea of how they
might be useful.

Betsy Cornwell