[NIFL-FOBASICS:64] Re: literacy screening

From: Dwyoho@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 13:16:34 EST

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:16:34 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Dwyoho@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:64] Re: literacy screening

Agnes:  Your comments are extremely well taken and I thank you for your
input.  You have contributed significantly to the dialog on this issue.  I
will not beg the point, except to say that I think a literacy screening and a
health knowledge screening can legitimately, and honestly, be conducted
through use of the same instrument.  It all boils down to a matter requiring
the most sensitive judgement:  How to reach out to adults in need without
embarrassing them, when even to look for or suggest the possible existence of
a need is itself embarrassing?  Taking all the comments together, my
hypothesis is that the METHOD we use to reach others is less important than
HOW we do it.  We are back to creating quality eyeball to eyeball human
relations.  In our literacy program, we don't "recruit " learners, and we
don't accept referrals.  We expect adults to reach a decision before they
call us and make the call themselves, identifying their own needs.  Our
"awareness" efforts are centered on bringing attention to the fact that our
services exist, and how to get them, and our advocacy efforts center on
getting the reading world to view adult lifelong learners as heroes to
emulate, not needy helpless people who must somehow be informed that they
have a problem.  Thanks again for your perspective.  Debbie Yoho