[NIFL-FOBASICS:37] Re: Update

From: Intern1 (intern1@nifl.gov)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 11:12:53 EST

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:12:53 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: intern1@nifl.gov (Intern1)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:37] Re: Update

Dear Barbara:

In answer to your question, I have used FoB in a few ways in my own teaching:

1) The research has reassured me that I am on the right track--when we kept
thinking of switching to more tutors or larger classes, Allen Quigley's (?)
article on small class size let us know that we were doing the right thing.

2) The research has inspired me to expand out my teaching materials--after I
read about the Edgar Allen Poe lesson, I decided to develop some real literature
lessons.  For both low- and high-level students, we used Frankenstein.  For the
high-level students we also read short excerpts from Waiting to Exhale, Brave
New World, and 1984.  I defined all of the vocabulary words and added many
questions for students to think about as they read.  At the end of the term we
rented a video of Frankenstein and had a popcorn & movie night.

3) Tom Valentine's article about understanding statistics has helped me make
sense of the large number of articles that I have read in the last 6 months. I
am now teaching what I have learned about thinking and learning to new and
in-service adult educators (both at Academy of Hope and elsewhere).

Thank you for FoB.

Jennifer Cromley                  ph:       (202) 632-1500 x37
1998-99 Literacy Leader Fellow    fax:      (202) 632-1512
National Institute for Literacy   e-mail:   intern1@nifl.gov or
800 Connecticut Ave., Ste. 200              jcromley @aol.com
Washington, DC  20202-7560        web site: www.nifl.gov/activities/fllwname.htm