[NIFL-FOBASICS:23] Re: Introducing Myself

From: Margery Freeman (mf06@gnofn.org)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 08:15:43 EST

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:15:43 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Margery Freeman <mf06@gnofn.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:23] Re: Introducing Myself

My name is Margery Freeman.  I've been an educator for 27 years, but
involved in adult literacy only for a little over 4 years.  I took the job
with the YMCA program here in New Orleans because I saw literacy work as
"an organizers dream".  I approach my work from community-based,
anti-racist principles.
I also serve as a resource trainer with the People's Institute for
Survival and Beyond, a national organization that conducts "undoing
racism/community organizing" workshops across the country (and
internationally). We have hosted three "undoing racism" workshops for the
literacy community (local, state and national) and we now require an
understanding and analysis of racism by all our staff/board.  It has made
us a more effective program, and more accountable to adult learners and
residents of low-income communities where so many of our students live.

I have been excited by the calibre of articles in Focus on Basics, and
would like to participate in an on-line "book club."  I am especially
interested in the intersection of race/poverty and illiteracy.
Margery Freeman
YMCA Educational Services
920 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans LA 70130