[NIFL-FOBASICS:12] Project-based instruction

From: Barbara Garner (Barbara_Garner@jsi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 07:35:38 EST

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:35:38 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <Barbara_Garner@jsi.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:12] Project-based instruction

A distinguishing feature of this electronic discussion list is that,
from time to time, we will try to engage specific people ---Focus on
Basics authors, in particular --- in conversation.  We'll have to see
how this format works...it may be too awkward. But, here goes...

In the most recent Focus on Basics, we read about successful uses of
project-based instruction. Teachers must be willing, however, to make
a "leap of faith", because, as Heide Wrigley pointed out, while
individual teachers have observed academic gains in conjunction with
project-based instruction, there is not much research in that area.

As legislation requires more specific evidence of learning gain,
might teachers be even more hesitant to try project-based
instruction?

Susan Gaer, you instituted project-based instruction at Santa Ana
College, which you described as having a structured curriculum and set
standards. Could you tell us more about how you "sold" the idea to
administration, and how you made sure that your students would meet
the set standards?

Has anyone else grappled with this? What were your experiences?

Barbara Garner

Barbara Garner                  phone (617) 482-9485
World Education                fax      (617) 482-0617
44 Farnsworth Street          e-mail bgarner@worlded.org
Boston, MA  02210-1211