[NIFL-FOBASICS:188] RE: Topics

From: Coe, Debra (DCoe@tmail.tea.state.tx.us)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 12:52:56 EST

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:52:56 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Coe, Debra" <DCoe@tmail.tea.state.tx.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:188] RE: Topics

Barbara,
Great question!  I like Janet's idea on support and barriers and would
suggest including community resources as part of that topic.  Specifically I
think instructors need training in how to teach students to identify
community resources, to select appropriate resources, and to advocate for
themselves and their families while accessing these resources.  I found that
simply handing students a card with a list of helpful phone numbers did
little to assist them in getting the kind of services they so desperately
needed.  I taught in a town that was rich in organizations and agencies that
were specifically set up to help people with housing, food, health care,
etc., yet many of my students went without these services because they did
not know how to access them.  In addition, this issue should address the
problem many teachers find themselves in when they crossover the fine line
between being compassionate, caring facilitators and fostering codependent
relationships with their students.

Other ideas for future issues are:
how to use functional context in teaching academics
incorporating basic workforce skills training into adult education
how to teach students to interpret graph, charts, maps, etc.
the math and writing connection
meeting the needs of special populations such as TANF and the incarcerated

Hey, remember you asked!  Keep up the good work.  Focus on the Basics is one
of the most useful publications out there for adult education instructors.

Debra Coe
Texas Education Agency