[NIFL-FOBASICS:122] Re: New Moderator -Reply

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@nmail.epcc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 13:26:00 EDT

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:26:00 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Andres Muro <AndresM@nmail.epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:122] Re: New Moderator -Reply

George, et al:

Let me try to share my limited knowledge about
the subject. I am not very familiar with back to
basics models.

According to  linguistic theory, children go
through 5 stages of literacy acquisition (note that
much of the research in education has been done
with children so it does not necessarily apply to
adults). During the first two stages, children learn
basic rules and are able to decode words. The
third stage is critical. It is during this stage that
children jump from their ability to decode, to their
ability to read for meaning. It is during this stage
that it is important to have children read
meaningfully. It is also at this point where many
people get stuck. Stages 3 to 5  progress in
reading for content to reading critically and
abstractly.

In the US, most adults can decode words.
However, while those who score in the lowest two
levels of the NALS may be able to decode words,
they cannot read for meaning and make sense of
print.  They need to acquire the ability to read
critically, for meaning, and they need to learn to
enjoy reading. As I understand it, "back to
basics" does not refer to reading critically
(reading the word and the world) but on discrete
components of reading such as decoding words.
However, a focus on basics is simply displacing
pedagogical energy where it is not needed. The
failure in literacy is not in the basics.

Andres

>>> "GEORGE E. DEMETRION"
<gdemetrion@juno.com> 09/08 7:33 am >>>
Good evening:

Allow me to be so presumptuous to steal Ralph
Silva's thunder by a day or
so. :)

I've been thinking about something for a while but
haven't found the
forum, so perhaps the Focus on Basics listserv is
as good as place as
any.

In my neck of the woods, the greater Hartford CT
area, there has been a
back to basics phonemic revival linked in part to
the Wilson Method,
developed I believe by Barbara Wilson.  I really
don't know much about
this method except that it has a strong phonetic
focus.  I'm wondering if
someone (Barbara Wilson, perhaps) can lay out
the theoretical
presppositions of the Wilson and if possible some
empirical evidence upon
which it is supported.  I am less interested in
citations per se than a
concise and coherent articulation of key points.
That in turn, may
provide an opportunity for a stimulating
dialogue/debate on the reading
process as well as the relationship between
"reading" and "literacy."

In certain respects, this is a somewhat old
discussion, but given the
renewal of the phonemic revival throughout our
great land, which in some
quarters has taken on evangelistic-like
proportions, it might be quite
germain.

I remain firmly embedded in the whole language
camp, although do not
dispute the usefulness of contextually-driven basic
skill work.  However,
if one accepts the schema theory that we learn in
meaningful chunks, then
reading mastery is facilitated as well, if not more
so,  by
comprehensible units of print than by
decontextual consonent and vowel
sounds.

Moreover, I view the different ways in which we
learn as methodology.
What is of ultimate importance are the contexts of
learning.  Thus, in my
view, an adult literacy program that does not link
instruction to
important life contexts as identified by students,
but one that instead
stresses a back to basics decontextual skills
focus, is seriously flawed.

These views are perhaps old hat to the
progressive literacy left,
probably most of the readers on this list.
However, given the importance
of the phonemic revival as a practical
phenomenon that strongly
influences many programs, both the pedagogy
upon which it is based and
the broader politics of literacy (such as legislation
mandating phonemic
awareness in federally funded ABE and literacy
programs) through which it
has emerged, deserves a close examination.

There are a variety of ways to enter into this
discussion.  I'm partial
to a close look at the Wilson System given its
impact in programs too
close to home.

George Demetrion
Executive Director