[NIFL-FOBASICS:119] Accountability

From: Anne764139@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 20:45:40 EDT

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:45:40 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Anne764139@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:119] Accountability

Dear Colleagues,
Reading Juliet Merrifield's work on accountability, including the article in
Focus on Basics, has opened my mind and changed the way I think about
accountability.  In light of the Workforce Investment Act, I am concerned
that by building an accountability system based on standardized tests and
"big ticket items" that our legislators can understand, we are capitulating
the rich and complex growth of learners that is at the heart of ABE.
Ultimately, by not capturing the learning and growth that happens outside of
those forms of measurement, we will further marginalize ourselves.
What victories do you celebrate in your program?  What tells us that what is
happening in our programs and classrooms is valuable? We need to advocate for
an accountability system that does not devalue the learning that we truly
celebrate. There are alternatives to tracking each individual by test scores,
outcomes and wages.  What are the performance standards that we would like to
measure? What are the performance standards that would both make us
accountable and validate the efforts of staff and students?
Anne Serino
Lynn, MA