[NIFL-FOBASICS:73] Re: Volunteer Recruitment

From: AWoodc3207@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 19:24:58 EDT

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 19:24:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWoodc3207@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:73] Re: Volunteer Recruitment

Hey Frances,

I'm way behind on reading and housekeeping the Listservs and I apologize if
this input to your NIFL-FOBASICS posting of 04/12/1999 is too late for your
need.  Also apologize to monitors and members of the listserv if this is not
the proper way to respond.

You've received some great replies which I want to keep in my references for
board work supporting our volunteer, Laubach-based, basic literacy program in
Montgomery, Alabama. I want to add my experience that occurred on two
different occasions because they didn't really require a lot of extra effort.

Last spring, volunteer response to our tutor training workshops began to fall
off to the point we canceled one but ran two with less than our ten trainee
minimum (Six and seven) because we were desperate with a growing learner
waiting list.  Our training committee called all the media and other
newsletter outlets to see what it took to get on their public serviced
announcements, but still had no great increase in volunteer response (PSAs
are traditionally read at less than peak listening/viewing hour and printed
ones are often buried in remote places of the print media.

We began a campaign to get on prime time and on the visual pages of the print
media.  We used the training workshops (we hold one every eight weeks or so)
as the first news item to get us noticed.  The primary newspaper came and did
a feature story on the next two along with pictures.  We also sent the
volunteer announcement for the newspaper, which is handled by a local
volunteer clearing house and often reduced in size due to available space, to
the city news section for "information" and they began running them in     a
"Neighborhood News" feature periodically.

We tried to have a release every six weeks to two months using some of our
normal, but more notable. (initiation of the Action Reading "Fast Track"
program for our welfare to work students, receipt of a grant for taking tutor
training to surrounding rural counties, etc..) and we received coverage that
put us on the front and second page of the newspaper's city section and in
one or two  local TV stations 6:00 p.m. or 10:00 p.m. news.  This gave us a
slight advantage in a city where there is heavy resource competition among
many worthy volunteer causes.

Our response to our fall trainings went up and in January we had 26 people,
the second highest number in our history!  We overcame a similar problem in a
similar way about three years ago.  That time we used contacts in the TV
stations to get on the live news programs every couple months.  It all served
to keep people reminded that we were here and needed help.

What is needed is one individual who can write pretty well, has a fax
machine, and can keep in touch with what is coming up in the literacy
program?  We also keep track of the TV and radio stations news staffs, so we
can fax our releases right to an individual.

Again, the responses you've received so far are all great and I want to keep
them for future reference.  Just thought I'd add what has worked for us.
Again my apologies for being late and for any breaches of net etiquette.

"Woody" Woodcock
Central Alabama Laubach
Literacy Council
(Volunteer tutor, trainer, board member)
Montgomery, Alabama
AWoodc3207@aol.com