[NIFL-FOBASICS:57] Beginning readers

From: The Cornwell's (cornwell@megalink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 09:33:19 EST

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:33:19 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "The Cornwell's" <cornwell@megalink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:57] Beginning readers

In my experience, beginning adult readers frequently need some intensive
one-on-one instruction.  I think this is partly because of the way people
learn to read and mostly because those who failed to learn to read as
children can suffer a debilitating "self-esteem nose dive" whenever the
subject of reading comes up.  Our learning center has sometimes been able
to form partnerships with our local Literacy Volunteers chapter  where we
actually have a Literacy Volunteer attending adult ed. classes with a
student.  Whenever necessary they go off on their own to work out a concept
in private.  Other times the volunteer meets with the student between
classes to make sure the student understands all that went on.

Betsy Cornwell