[NIFL-FOBASICS:49] Re: Introduction

From: Precure Agnes (agnes.precure@occs.state.or.us)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 11:44:42 EST

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:44:42 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Precure Agnes <agnes.precure@occs.state.or.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:49] Re: Introduction

Lynn --

I understand your efforts to better identify those with low literacy skills,
but I would be cautious about introducing a screener without first getting
permission from the person to be screened.  Adult coming to health care
facilities are not expecting to have their literacy skills assessed.  They
may react angrily when a nurse or some other health care practitioner
mentions that in the process of registration they were also diagnosed with
remedial literacy needs.

I do know that Houston READS had attempted to establish some type of a
"family literacy" program in hospital waiting rooms at one point.  I would
recommend touching base with Margaret Doughty about what they did and how
they approached.  I also think that hospital waiting rooms have been used
effectively to advertise literacy programs -- sometimes infor-mercials about
literacy needs/PSAs with information about where to get services are shown
on TV sets, flyers and posters are available/visible, etc.  It would also
make sense to then train receptionists and nursing staff to address the
questions that patients could raise as a result of these advertisements.