[NIFL-FOBASICS:27] project based literacy

From: Kate Nonesuch (nonesuch@mala.bc.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 15:09:40 EST

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:09:40 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Kate Nonesuch <nonesuch@mala.bc.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:27] project based literacy

I read with interest the articles by Deborah Johnson and
Heide Spruck Wrigley in the last issue of  FOB.

I try to get my students involved in many projects;
sometimes I think my job is just to say "Yes" to whatever
comes up.

Several  year ago we worked with a local forestry museum
to produce a book of oral histories of people who worked in
the forestry industry in the "old days;" we did  some
plain language signage for the museum and  worked with our
College librarian to catalogue a collection of books the
museum owns.

More recently, we worked for a year on tenants'
rights and gave workshops in the community to let people
know about their rights.  The next year we produced a video
(essentially we transferred the workshop to video) which is
now available to learners all over the province.

I was glad to see in the FOB articles that other people had
similar problems--attrition from the project, problems with
anonymity, for example.  Nonetheless, I think that real
literacy work gets done, although,  especially at the
beginning, I had to keep shouting down the voice inside me
that said, "This is not real school," particularly when
that voice was echoed by students.

Thinking up possible projects is easy--turning them over to
the students, making it possible for students to take
leadership, getting out of the way, finding money, trying
to fit the project into the parameters of the program--all
these are harder, but essential.  Measuring results??
something else again.

Kate Nonesuch

Literacy Co-ordinator, Developmental Education
Malspina University-College, Cowichan Campus
222 Cowichan Way,
Duncan, BC
V9L 6P4
Canada