[NIFL-FOBASICS:16] Introducing Myself

From: Barbara Garner (Barbara_Garner@jsi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 07:33:40 EST

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 07:33:40 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <Barbara_Garner@jsi.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:16] Introducing Myself

I've asked list members to introduce themselves and explain why
they've subscribed to the Focus on Basics list. I'll start.

I'm Barbara Garner, editor of Focus on Basics. I'm based at World
Education, in Boston. I have, in my time, worn many different ABE
'hats', from teaching, to training, to funding.

One of the reasons I started the list is that, as editor, I get to
discuss each FOB article with a group of colleagues (the editorial
board) a number of times. I also get to talk with all the authors. I
find that process amazingly intellectually stimulating; editorial
board members say they enjoy it, too.

I thought it would be fun to see if we can take this "book club"
approach on-line and include many more voices in the discussion.
I also hope I will learn from the discussion and reflect what I learn
in future issues of Focus on Basics.

Barbara Garner                  phone (617) 482-9485
World Education                fax      (617) 482-0617
44 Farnsworth Street          e-mail bgarner@worlded.org
Boston, MA  02210-1211