[NIFL-FOBASICS:142] teaching/funding et al

From: ralph silva (silva_ralph@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 10:44:18 EDT

Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ralph silva" <silva_ralph@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:142] teaching/funding et al

Anne's dilemma reflects a widespread sentiment among teachers I know. Let me
try to explain the way I see it.  Adult ed programs have limited financial
resources. Teachers need to spend as much of those resources as possible on
direct service to learners(I just can't call them "customers"). Teachers can
see outcomes and progress; Improved academic test scores(easy to document),
better retention and persistence(not as easy to document to funders, because
of learners' changes in situation), improved attitude, appearance, family
and social involvement, self-advocacy, etc. etc. etc.(difficult to document
in terms funders will accept-do not easily fit into check boxes). Now, when
the new RFP comes out, with specific requirements and outcomes, teachers
must walk that tightrope between direct service and organizational needs.
Maybe learners don't have the time to spend both attending class, and
undergoing more assessments, but the central office wants to know when your
paperwork will be in, so that the grant money can flow. Help me here,
people; is this close? RS