[NIFL-FOBASICS:323] Re: NIFL-FOBASICS digest 191

From: Anne Murr (anne.murr@DRAKE.EDU)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 11:42:59 EST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:42:59 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Anne Murr <anne.murr@DRAKE.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:323] Re: NIFL-FOBASICS digest 191

We are just BEGINNING to use the WRS with non-native English speaking
students, so do not have long-term results to share.  However, the
WRS explicitly teaches the sounds, i.e., phonemes, of the English
language.  In the WRS screening assessment, students must say the
sound/s for each letter of the alphabet.  we are finding that
non-native speakers know very few letter-sound correspondences (which
persons with reading problems also do not know), which research
states is the essential first step in learning to read.  I liken
learning the sounds of a new language to learing the tones of new
music.  You have to practice and hear it over and over.  The WRS
lesson plan provides the structure for that repetition and practice
in an interactive setting. After becoming fluent with blending sounds
in words, the student then learns word structure, using the 6
syllable types.

Robin Schwarz, who works with college international students, wrote a
very helpful article, "Using Phonemic Awareness with ESL Students,"
which you might be able to request from June Crawford at the National
Institute for Literacy <jcrawford@nifl.gov>.  The article is in the
Natonal Adult Literacy and Learning Disabilities Center publication,
"Phonological Awareness:  An Overview".

Anne Murr
Adult Literacy Center
Drake University Schol of Education