[NIFL-FOBASICS:258] Let's face it

From: ralph silva (silva_ralph@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 22:36:48 EDT

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:36:48 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ralph silva" <silva_ralph@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:258] Let's face it

Let’s face it. If your learners persist in their education, that
means your job as teacher is mostly done. If they keep coming back, taking
classes, working on projects, etc, when the good teachable moments come, you
can be there to engage them. The trick is getting
them to persist.
In my last message, I posed the idea of encouraging persistence by making
the learning experience interesting, relavent, fun. There’s something else.
Are you, the teacher, into what you teach? Do you
like Math? Are you a History buff? Do you play with computers half
the night, finding cool things to show your students?
	Do you see yourself as a teacher, a guide, a coach, and/or
a model? Do you impart information to students, or do you infect
them with your joy of learning?
	In other words, for your students to persist in learning, do
you feel you must persist in learning? Do you think about this stuff?
RS