[NIFL-FOBASICS:284] Re: Math Instruction Issue

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylrain@teleport.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 11:54:20 EDT

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:54:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylrain@teleport.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:284] Re: Math Instruction Issue

At 08:34 AM 9/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>The Math Instruction issue was sent out over the past three weeks. <SNIP>
>Has anyone read it?

I did! I actually printed it out and took it with me to read while waiting
to be served at restaurants, the doctor's office, etc. I've been wanting to
figure out ways to include more numeracy in our Adult Ed classroom (which is
primarily ESL, but also includes a lot of other things). We teach some math
as part of the GED instruction, of course, but not everyone is working on
their GED. And it's important to integrate it more into the other instruction.

This issue gave me several good ideas -- in particular, I'm going to use the
"High-Low" game from one article. I'm in the process of turning over my
printout to my assistant (who teaches the GED classes) to give her more
ideas as well.

I've done a check-writing lesson in years past, but not last year. I
wondered how relevant it was to their lives, as many of them can't get
checking accounts anyway. It was a good way to do numbers dictation, and
spelling out numbers, practice in listening and writing, etc. I just read an
article in our local paper about banks reaching out to Hispanics, and have a
line on a couple of people who have come to speak to help Hispanics
establish bank accounts. There are evidently some ways to get around the
Social Security number requirement (filling out some form [W-8, I think?]).
So maybe this would be a good way to relate that to "real life."

A couple of the articles talked about noticing numeracy in your own life,
and seeing what kinds of things you do all the time that you need math
skills for. This is then a good way to inform instruction. I liked it for
the increased awareness of how to teach math in a meaningful context rather
than just rote worksheets (which can also be useful, but not all by
themselves). We are certainly interested in working on budgeting skills,
shopping, etc.

Sylvan Rainwater . Portland, Oregon, USA . sylrain@teleport.com