[NIFL-FOBASICS:273] RE: What are we doing?

From: Gina Massoni (literacy@webmail.bmi.net)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:13:38 EDT

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:13:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Gina Massoni" <literacy@webmail.bmi.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:273] RE: What are we doing?

Tina:

I am always looking for answers to these questions as part of running a
volunteer literacy program where we only do individual tutoring (no
classes), especially in light of all the discussion about how to use EFF in
a classroom.  Sometimes I think our biggest success as a program is in 1)
improving students' self-esteem and 2) getting them to understand that
showing up on a regular schedule matters, and 3) bringing together two
separate sectors of our local community so that both widen their
perspectives.

The more I learn about how to support the tutors, the more important I think
it is to find out the students' goals and help them identify how to get
there.  Then tutors know what they must teach (and consequently what they
might need to learn in order to teach).  Volunteer tutors come with so many
skills and areas of knowledge, and they are usually very determined to learn
whatever it takes to be helpful to a learner.

Please let me know if you find a forum for these issues.  I don't have time
to do research - our program is struggling for basic funding as it is - but
I am always interested in knowing how we can do a better job.

Gina Massoni
Literacy Coordinator
Blue Mountain Action Council
Walla Walla, WA