[NIFL-FOBASICS:246] Re: Spring is here?

From: Jeri Levesque (levesqjr@webster.edu)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 16:37:22 EDT

Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:37:22 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jeri Levesque <levesqjr@webster.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:246] Re: Spring is here?

--------------A2EC36F7A65965CC50B44489

Ralph and Others,
Persistence is key to most adult success stories. Last week I spoke to
two ABE (AEL) ladies. They were studying for the GED. The younger of the
two was in her mid sixties. One lady said to me, "Do you know how hard
it is to come here day after day and learn this old brain new math?"
She's moved from level 2 to level 7 in 8 weeks, working five days a
week. She started reading at a 3rd grade level and said it's moving
slow. One of the ladies said she was going to get her grand daughter to
come to class with her. Try to race her to the GED. The other nodded and
felt soon she's going to convince her daughter that if Mom could do it,
well she could too - even if she was over 40.

Motivating persistence toward educational goals is difficult for many
women enrolled in family literacy programs. It's because their lives are
crisis oriented and they are first responsible for family (multiple
generations and extensions) and then they attend to their own needs. I
like John Coming's ideas about persistence. Do we teach it? or Is it a
nature given virtue?

Best,
Jeri Levesque,Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Webster University
Program Evaluator, LIFT-Missouri

ralph silva wrote:

> Spring is here-sort of. I'm still sitting in front of the woodstove
> here in Vermont. I have plenty of time to read the new FOB. If you
> haven't read it yet, now's the time. It isn't very long, and the
> subject is quite compelling.
> What is it that reminds you that you are a teacher? For me it's seeing
> my students come back to class every week, having fun learning new
> things-it's having them sign up for the next class, looking forward to
> the first session-it's getting emails from a student at her new job,
> telling me how much she likes it, or asking for my help with her
> office computer.
> In other words, it's persistence, students persisting in following
> their education plans, taking control over their own academic, life
> skills, and career futures.
> What does student persistence mean to you? How do you observe/measure
> student persistence. Where does persistence stand in relation to other
> adult ed issues;! Accountability, Assessment, Standards, etc. Let's
> discuss. RS

--------------A2EC36F7A65965CC50B44489

Ralph and Others,
to two ABE (AEL) ladies. They were studying for the GED. The younger of
the two was in her mid sixties. One lady said to me, "Do you know how hard
it is to come here day after day and learn this old brain new math?" She's
moved from level 2 to level 7 in 8 weeks, working five days a week. She
started reading at a 3rd grade level and said it's moving slow. One of
the ladies said she was going to get her grand daughter to come to class
with her. Try to race her to the GED. The other nodded and felt soon she's
going to convince her daughter that if Mom could do it, well she could
too - even if she was over 40.
women enrolled in family literacy programs. It's because their lives are
crisis oriented and they are first responsible for family (multiple generations
and extensions) and then they attend to their own needs. I like John Coming's
ideas about persistence. Do we teach it? or Is it a nature given virtue?

I'm still sitting in front of the woodstove here in Vermont. I have plenty
of time to read the new FOB. If you haven't read it yet, now's the time.
It isn't very long, and the subject is quite compelling.</font>
For me it's seeing my students come back to class every week, having fun
learning new things-it's having them sign up for the next class, looking
forward to the first session-it's getting emails from a student at her
new job, telling me how much she likes it, or asking for my help with her
office computer.</font>
in following their education plans, taking control over their own academic,
life skills, and career futures.</font>
you observe/measure student persistence. Where does persistence stand in
relation to other adult ed issues;! Accountability, Assessment, Standards,
etc. Let's discuss. RS</font></div>

--------------A2EC36F7A65965CC50B44489--