Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Will I pay more in Social Security taxes if I am self-employed?
  I may open a small business. Will I pay more in Social Security taxes than I did when I worked for someone else?

A self-employed person pays twice as much as an employee pays. However, because the employer pays a matching amount, the combined rate paid by the employer and the employee is equal to the self-employment tax. But there are special tax credits you can take when you file your tax return that are intended to lower your overall rate.

In 2007, the Social Security tax rate is 15.3 percent on self-employment income up to $97,500. For 2008 the tax rate is 15.3 percent on income up to $102,000. Although you do not pay self-employment tax on net earnings exceeding $97,500 (or $102,000), you must continue to pay the Medicare portion of the Social Security tax (2.9 percent) on the rest of your earnings. For more information, we recommend that you review the fact sheet, If You're Self-Employed.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?