[NIFL-FOBASICS:1338] RE: Fear of Finishing

From: Michele Anne Craig (shellcraig@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 19:56:49 EST

Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:56:49 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Michele Anne Craig" <shellcraig@ix.netcom.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1338] RE: Fear of Finishing

Cindy,

I have students like this too. I always tell them, though, that they have
accomplished a lot regardless. Whether or not they have the piece of paper,
they now have the knoweldge. And that is what really counts.

Michele Craig
Woodland Adult School

seem to have a fear of finishing (getting their GED).  I have personally
worked with many students who are very motivated to get their GED and come
extremely close, maybe within one test of finishing, and then they
disappear.  It seems as though many are afraid to finish.  Maybe they're
afraid of what comes next - a job, college, just being out on their own.
Maybe they're afraid of succeeding - putting themselves above another
family member, feeling they're not worthy of success?  I'm just curious if
anyone else has experienced this or read anything about it.  Also, are
there any suggestions/strategies for getting beyond this fear?