[NIFL-FOBASICS:1457] Re: Success with Distance Education

From: Howard Dooley (hdooley@riral.org)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 10:54:42 EDT

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Howard Dooley" <hdooley@riral.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1457] Re: Success with Distance Education

I agree with Jane Meyer.  The key, probably obvious, is to consider distance
ed one option for learners, and then identify the learners who are best
suited for that option.  That said, I notice that Katrina mentioned basic
skills learners, and Jane mentioned GED learners.  At my program, we have
found that distance learning works best with the supports Jane mentioned.
Also, when at all possible, we encourage learners to come in for an
Orientation session before distance learning: they meet the instructor
face-to-face, practice going on-line and using the software, complete an
email or phone-in to the instructor, get immediate feedback on successes,
and so on.  This ensures that technical or little problems won't derail the
experience and the learning.  In some cases, learners begin in a class and
then transition into distance learning when they can no longer attend or are
"stopping out".  This transition can be eased by using some of the distance
learning items in the class (assumes the internet is available on site).
For example, we use "My Skills Tutor" for ABE distance learning, and at our
Learning Center the ABE instructor integrates using that program for skills
practice, rather than providing paper worksheets or reviews.  This is
especially helpful for those learners who need multiple practice sessions
before the skill or content is mastered.

Our experience is that the issues are not around basic skills levels, but
around (1) independent learning experience, (2) study skills and (3)
familiarity and ease-of-use with the technology.  The three, in our
experience, are correlated.  To keep options open for learners, they are
asked questions in these areas during our Orientation, so that when we
discuss ed plans and options, the effectiveness of using distance learning
in that plan can be assessed by the instructor and the learner.

Howard