[NIFL-FOBASICS:1331] RE: Fear of Finishing

From: Barbara Garner (b.garner4@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 13:49:10 EST

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:49:10 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <b.garner4@verizon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1331] RE: Fear of Finishing

Wendy Quinones and Betsy Cornwell, members of the teacher research team that
worked on the NCSALL Adult Multiple Intelligences research, wrote about
"refusal to learn" in their "Focus on Basics" article "I Can't Learn This!"
An MI Route Around Resistance (MI = multiple intelligences)
http://ncsall.gse.harvard.edu/fob/1999/quinones.htm
They write "These are students who, according to Herbert Kohl (1994), are
actively engaged in "not-learning....because of conflicting goals"

This seems to be along the lines of what you're experiencing with your
learners. They have two references that might be of use.
Let us know.
Barb Garner
Editor, Focus on Basics