[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2711] research vs. best practices

From: Daphne Greenberg (alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 21:19:03 EDT

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:19:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2711] research vs. best practices

To answer your question, the teachers do not have discussions "about violence in their own families.  Or arguments.  And how they or their parents deal with this issue." If they do, they are not done during our formal staff meetings. Once again, I guess this is where research needs may/may not intersect well with "real life" needs/best practices. We should be dealing with these issues. However, our staff meetings are so full of research issues, that there isn't much time for anything else. Lame response-but the truth.
Daphne

Daphne Greenberg
Associate Director
Center for the Study of Adult Literacy
MSC 6A0360
Georgia State University
33 Gilmer Street SE Unit 6
Atlanta, GA 30303-3086
phone: 404-651-0127
fax:404-651-4901
dgreenberg@gsu.edu
>>> AWilder106@aol.com 09/23/03 13:06 PM >>>
Completely agree with Sylvan.  There must be alternative ways of dealing with violence, and these need to be discussed.

A question--do your teachers have discussions about violence in their own families?  Or arguments?  And how they or their parents deal with this issue?

This came up recently--last weekend--with a friend, a highly competent administrator, educated, well-spoken, moves in highest circles, etc. etc.  Turns out her father was physically abusive to her mother, and my friend  would get in between them to stop him from hitting her mother.  He would stop, but what a legacy....

What I am trying to say in a clumsy way is that maybe the circle of discussants should be broadened, otherwise there is an us/them hierarchical division set up.  I'm not suggesting the two discussions be merged.

Andrea