[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2558] Re: Training staff in a domestic violence

From: Janet Isserlis (Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 11:30:52 EDT

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:30:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Janet Isserlis <Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2558] Re: Training staff in a domestic violence

Daphne, Matt and all

Don't know if you've received responses off line.  Aside from the
usual resources
http://www.jennyhorsman.com
http://www.brown.edu/lrri/screen.html

I can report that I worked for an academic year in a shelter, mostly
around writing with mothers while university students I
trained/supervised worked with literacy-infused activities with kids.

Self access materials, without some sort of support - beyond busy
shelter staff answering questions - seems to me to be a possible
solution, but I'm also wary that the shelter might be setting their
clients up for frustration.  Having said that, yes, some learners are
able to focus and will likely do well with these materials.  Others,
however, have a number of other pressing decision and issues to deal
with and may not get to the materials.

If the shelter allows it, you or the people you're working with might
talk to some of the residents (or former residents?)  to see what
they think.  This might be problematic, for a number of reasons,
however, but if it is, you might talk to students generally (without
disclosing the setting for the materials you're developing) to see
what kinds of self-access materials they might use.

I hope this makes sense.  If you'd like to talk about it at length,
please let me know - we might want to talk off-list or on the phone,
if this isn't of interest to all.

thanks

Janet Isserlis