[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2478] Re: Task Force Named for CAAL Community

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@epcc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 12:59:24 EST

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:59:24 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andres Muro" <AndresM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2478] Re: Task Force Named for CAAL Community

Hi Gail, I am an manager of an adult literacy and GED program El Paso Community College. When I communicate with colleagues in the adult literacy field, I have found that many of them do not work in community colleges, but rather in other entities and often they have had difficulty partnering with CCs.

I agree with you that Community colleges are an essential component of adult basic education, and potentially, an outstanding resource for providing effective adult education access and services. However, this role in  community colleges is greatly misunderstood and often challenged.

At El Paso Community College, where I work, this is a greatly debated issue, with no clear answers. You would think that in a community such as El Paso, w/ an overwhelming number of limited English proficient, educationally disadvantaged and economically disadvantaged adults, there would be a clear understanding and philosophy from the community college towards addressing this issue. However, the fact is that there is not.

EPCC has a very large and very successful literacy, GED, ABE program, but it is often misunderstood within the college, and not perceived as an integral part of the college by many. Had it not been for the tremendous efforts from the staff in the program, the program might not exist today.

Being in the middle of the debate regarding the role of community colleges in ABE, I am very interested in this issue and I would like to hear further about this.

andres

>>> gspangenberg@caalusa.org 02/11/03 06:39AM >>>

TASK FORCE NAMED FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGE PROJECT

NEWS RELEASE - February 11, 2003 - The Council for Advancement of
Adult Literacy (CAAL) today announced the task force membership for
its recently-launched community college project.  That project is
part of CAAL's program to help develop state-level resources and
foster effective state policy development and planning in adult
education and literacy.  "Community colleges provide ABE services for
millions of adults now," noted CAAL president Gail Spangenberg, "but
the links between their services and between community colleges and
other service-providing institutions in the adult literacy system are
weak or poorly understood.  CAAL hopes to increase awareness of what
the colleges are already doing and to provide guidance, as
appropriate, on ways to strengthen their role."  The task force will
meet 4-5 times during the 1.5-year life of the project. Several
papers will be commissioned and published by CAAL including a final
task force report with analysis and recommendations. Start-up funding
has been provided by the Nellie Mae Foundation, Verizon, and
McGraw-Hill.  Dr. Forrest P. Chisman, CAAL Vice President for Special
Projects, will direct the project.

In addition to Dr. Chisman, the task force is comprised of:

Byron McClenney (Chair)
(American Association of Community Colleges representative)
President
Kingsborough Community College
City University of New York
Brooklyn, New York

Robert Bickerton
Director, Adult Basic Education
State Department of Education
Malden, Massachusetts

Hunter Boylan
Director
National Center for Developmental Education
Reich College of Education
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina

JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall
Professor of Education &
Director, Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in Language, Literacy, and Culture
University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)
Baltimore, Maryland

Gerardo de los Santos
Vice President for Advancement
League for Innovation in Community Colleges
Phoenix, Arizona

Sarah Hawker
Vice President
Workforce Development and Adult Education
Illinois Community College Board
Springfield, Illinois

Lennox McClendon
Executive Director
National Adult Education Professional Development Consortium
Washington, D.C.

Patricia Rickard
Director,
Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS)
San Diego, California

Sharlene Walker
Director
Adult Basic Skills and Family Literacy Unit
Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development
Salem, Oregon

Ex officio:
Sandra Baxter
Interim Director
National Institute for Literacy
Washington, D.C.

Council for Advancement of Adult Literacy
1221 Avenue of the Americas - 50th Floor
New York, NY 10020
Phone 212-512-2363
e-mail: bheitner@caalusa.org
http://www.caalusa.org