[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2462] RE: weight as an issue

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 20:26:05 EST

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:26:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2462] RE: weight as an issue

At 07:27 PM 01/30/2003 -0500, Bertha Mo wrote:
>I should hope that the priority is "healthy" and thin
>is secondary...Bertie Mo

What's really weird is that we have this situation in this country where at
the moment "thin" and "healthy" are equated. It's weird, because in much of
the rest of the world and in other times the equation is/has been just the
opposite. "Shapely" certainly has been more of a norm until recent years,
and it caused its own health problems (corsets, etc.).

These days what's considered "beautiful" is very unhealthy, basically
anorectic models that few people can (or should) emulate. Ironically, when
women try to achieve that look, they often get fatter (or else they also
get anorectic and may even die).

What we spend money on and why (not to mention time, as in going to the
gym) are certainly topics of interest to everyone, and therefore completely
appropriate to discuss in a classroom.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org   .   Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission / Head Start
Oregon City, OR USA