[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2699] RE: domestic violence and our male learners

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 12:58:56 EDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:58:56 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2699] RE: domestic violence and our male learners

Completely agree with Sylvan.  There must be alternative ways of dealing with violence, and these need to be discussed.

A question--do your teachers have discussions about violence in their own families?  Or arguments?  And how they or their parents deal with this issue?

This came up recently--last weekend--with a friend, a highly competent administrator, educated, well-spoken, moves in highest circles, etc. etc.  Turns out her father was physically abusive to her mother, and my friend  would get in between them to stop him from hitting her mother.  He would stop, but what a legacy....

What I am trying to say in a clumsy way is that maybe the circle of discussants should be broadened, otherwise there is an us/them hierarchical division set up.  I'm not suggesting the two discussions be merged.

Andrea