[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2569] Re: research question

From: Terry McLean (tmclean@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 07:27:02 EDT

Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 07:27:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Terry McLean" <tmclean@mindspring.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2569] Re: research question

Hi Daphne:  I thought about this for a while and I would have called him
back.  I would have answered any generic question about the program and
perhaps attempted a little positive PR about the different reading
instructional methods if I thought he were seeking info about the purpose.

I have seen this type of behavior before with husbands and I have always
tried to encourage positive communication.  They often have fears that are
unexpressed or that they are unable to express:  (My wife has been coming to
get her GED; she might leave me or I don't want anyone to know how little
she knows.)  Yes, sometimes, it is a control issue but to not return a phone
call might cause me to lose the wife forever from the program. So I would
definitely call him back but not to answer questions about her--unless they
came together to discuss her involvement.

My 2 cents worth...
Terry McLean