[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2755] Re: ADHD

From: Bertha Mo (bertiemo@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 13:38:26 EDT

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:38:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Bertha Mo <bertiemo@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2755] Re: ADHD

This is a very interesting and useful discussion.  I
wondered if education psychologists should be
challenged to come up with simpler and less expensive
diagnostic tools to ascertain the learners who are
visual or auditory...

Many community colleges and universities now offer
learning centers and counseling centers were students
have the opportunity to discuss learning styles and
learning strategies as well as find counseling for
life issues that make learning difficult...but I
gather this is not the case for low income learners
particularly adults who are also working.

In my own family, I remember that my brothers really
fought to have their kids tested even though they were
members of a large California HMO.  I am sure the
studies have been done regarding the cost benefits of
intervention for learning differences vis a vie the
alternatives such as low literacy, unemployment, poor
health, delinquency...but no one seems to be
listening.

Bertie Mo