[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2748] Re: ADHD

From: jackie davis (rainboja100@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 18:40:54 EDT

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:40:54 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: jackie davis <rainboja100@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2748] Re: ADHD

Heidi wrote: "Too often in education we rush to
identify a learner's difficulty as an individual
deficit without looking at the whole context in which
they are trying to learn (which includes our
classrooms and instruction)."

When my son, who has learning disabilities, I came to
call them "learning differences."  He processed
information very differently than I do - or his
teachers and his teachers teachers.  There was so
little effort to address those with various abilities
(some with very high intelligence) who needed to be
addressed in a different style.  Though I must say
that I was just as ignorant at it in my Mom role, I've
watched others be able to come at communication with
my now adult son and be successful!  I think that we
are still at the very beginnings of learning what
these differences are, let alone how to pierce
through.  As a society, haven't yet cracked the code
of brain processing and its many levels of complextiy,
which does not necessarily mean that every difference
IS a disability, but that we are still in the
neanderthal age regarding this - and I'm also not
saying that disabilities do not exist, but in a
classroom without the right support for learning for
these folks, the difference becomes a "disability").
Thank you for your thoughts, Heidi.