[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2555] Training staff in a domestic violence shelter

From: Matthew Scelza (matthewscelza@caliteracy.org)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 16:09:10 EDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:09:10 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Matthew Scelza" <matthewscelza@caliteracy.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2555] Training staff in a domestic violence shelter

Hi,

I'm new to the list.  I'm conducting a training next month for staff members at a domestic violence shelter.  The clients are both native speakers and ESL learners, and the staff would like to help the clients improve their literacy skills.  However, work schedules do not allow for any sort of traditional instructor-student interaction.  There will not be regularly scheduled meetings between staff (instructors) and clients.

I'm looking for models of how to design this program.  My plans right now are to use "self-access materials" as the base.  Self-access materials are those that learners use independently, whether or not they're in class.  The staff does have time to answer questions and to perform "checks" on materials that clients complete.

I'm hoping others on this list have some suggestions for me.  Thanks!

Peace,
Matthew Scelza
Statewide Programs Director
California Literacy, Inc.