[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2442] RE: weight as an issue

From: Dana Cooper (d7cooper@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 07:32:06 EST

Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:32:06 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dana Cooper" <d7cooper@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2442] RE: weight as an issue

This is an aside, but I think the smaller seats and the criticism of larger
-- no, I agree with you, Mev -- wider people has less to do with concern for
anyone's health and more to do with various transportation entities trying
to crowd as many people in a given car or other unit as possible. More fares
per trip mentality. The money factor.

And aside number 2 -- while "fat" people are criticized for taking up "more
than their fair share of seat room" -- and given the wider population,
shouldn't the seats reflect this fact instead of some fantasy that's part
economic -- what about the way some men sit with their legs spread? Not to
offend the male listmembers, but those thin or average-sized men who sit
with their legs wide enough to infringe on the adjacent seat space, that's
more galling to me. A "fat" person legitimately needs nore space -- that's
understandable. Having the so-called "third leg" (and I am not being coy
here; I just want to make sure that my message gets online), should NOT
require the width of one and a half seats. Only once have I sat next to a
woman who sat so that she cut into the space for the seat I was in -- weight
was not the issue in that case either; bad attitude, rudeness was.

And yes, I agree that the fat-is-faulty attitude is more likely to become
more pronounced.

Dana

Dana