[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2726] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 14:47:23 EDT

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:47:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2726] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

Andrea,

I add my thanks to others. It's interesting that you find it so difficult to
share this, and that people react the way they do. I prefer to share things
in my life openly, but there are some things that are much more difficult to
tell, at least in some contexts.

I have a student in my class right now who can barely tell anyone of her
husband's violence toward her, even when she shows up in class with bruises.
A too-familiar story. I wonder what is going on with her -- whether this is
a matter of not seeing herself as important, taking her husband's problems
more seriously than her own, fear that without him she might not survive
economically, etc., or whether that fear of how others may react may also
color some of this.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on violence, and the depth of its impact
on you and your life. It is definitely food for thought.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA