[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2718] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 13:30:27 EDT

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:30:27 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2718] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

Daphne,

I feel I must make a comment  here.  I live in the Boston area and have been interested and somewhat involved in work around teaching and violence towards women.  2 years ago I went  to a workshop with teachers and administrators, mostly women, who worked in this field.  At one point we had an exercise in going around a table and talking about our associations with the topic, and I mentioned my personal experience  with incest.  I  could feel the other 3 women at my table draw back from me, emotionally; there was quite a silence. Then one of them said now she saw me as two people, one an  ordinary person, the other with a different face.  (Whose face, I should have asked.)  This was a  professional group, adult educators. Obviously I am bringing this up as a consciousness-raising  topic, the incident was grim and I don't like to write about it, BUT I think there may need to be some educating out there of those who work in this field.

Sexual violence is not a social science "add-on"  to a core personality, it changes the  person's whole being, biochemical to social  to spiritual.  I have known 2 people, 2 friends, who  have not raised that wall of incomprehension and  fear when I brought up the topic, they have my blesssing for eternity.

I don't talk about my experience in "normal" company, this list is the only place I have every gone  very  public, but for the sake of other  women I had to say this about educating  teachers and administrators, it has to be done.

I follow news about sexual vioolence quite closely in the  newspaper, I  am  thinking here about the Air Force Academy.

1)  No one thought to train those young women AHEAD of time so they would be prepared for what they might encounter.
2)  In war,rape is a war crime.

In civilian life,  it is also a crime, and women should know how to deal with it as this level.

Andrea