[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2527] Re: space

From: Jeri Levesque (levesqjr@webster.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 22:47:43 EST

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:47:43 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jeri Levesque <levesqjr@webster.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2527] Re: space

Daphne,
Before I open a can of worms, I need to clarify my situation. The president of my university wants to integrate literacy into its mission is a proactive way. The university is in the process of establishing a campus in the Old Post Office, a monolithic structure in a blighted St. Louis metropolitan
center. We have 97 campuses around the globe.

The Literacy Center or Institute or Named After a Donor place of literacy is a cornerstone of this new urban campus center. I am writing this from Washington DC where I have hit the hallowed halls of Congress pitching the notion of the value of this small component of a university initiative.

The architectural plan calls for space for at least nine full time employees, distance learning facilities, integrated technology and other amenities. We will partner with other organizations such as LIFT-Missouri (already housed on another campus site) to establish a working space. We currently work
together on a variety of projects including one funded by NIFL, an Even Start Statewide Initiative, PIRC and other state funded projects. Most of the work is at a desk (research and curriculum development) or in the field (training and technical assistance).

Space will be established- but the work at this time involves securing community partners and external funding for the essential "work" of literacy.  Work is defined as the externally funded projects that create a need for space that engages literacy researchers, practitioners, partners, and learners. It
is much more demanding than assigning me a classroom for each of my courses every term and maintaining a perpetually cramped faculty office.

Great question. I look forward to the thoughts of others who do this sort of work on university facilities.

Jeri Levesque, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Director, Webster University Institute (New title name I saw on a memo today) of Literacy
Webster University
St. Louis, Missouri 63119