[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2518] RE: name of center

From: Jeri Levesque (levesqjr@webster.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 13:16:21 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:16:21 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jeri Levesque <levesqjr@webster.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2518] RE: name of center

Daphne,

The name of my university literacy center is still in limbo - for a number of political reasons - including
resistance by members of the reading faculty to have a literacy center that touches the k-12 realm which they
believe is their domain. They see literacy as preK (family literacy/early education) and adult, health,
workplace literacies as something they can co-exist with. If we were to include the k-12 youth/school age
literacy component then all proposals and research would have to be scrutinized by the reading faculty to make
sure we don't compete with their funding ideals.

Bottom line - lifelong literacy is a tad too womb to tomb and trendy - adult literacy needs to  keep a distinct
identity.

Jeri Levesque, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Director, Webster University Literacy Center
St. Louis, MO

PS
In real life I am the only tenured faculty who works off campus at home because when a space crunch hit - the
thought was the literacy center is more of a concept than a place so I could be virtually anywhere!