[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2448] weight as an issue

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@epcc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 11:52:58 EST

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:52:58 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andres Muro" <AndresM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2448] weight as an issue

Daphnee asked:

Jody has mentioned that "weight is the last acceptable form of discrimination". Do people see any signs that this is beginning to change?

No! and it is tricky.

On one hand you have the media that promotes a certain look, hence, discriminating against anyone that does not fit that look. All media has and continues to promote thinness, especially among women. Since the media establishes acceptableness, anyone that does not fit the status quo, is not acceptable in the dominant eye. Obsession with extreme thinness has led to mental illness associated with being thin.

On the other hand, because America is a land of overabundance, there are, in fact problems with excess, so obesity is a problem in America and Western Europe. The combination of media's obsession with thinness and the fact that in some cases obesity can be controlled has led to a doubled attack on obesity.

The problem is that, aside from not being aesthetically acceptable by the majority, or, unhealthy, or, in some cases controllable, there is nothing wrong with being thin, or fat. Thinness can also be unhealthy, however, because it does not go against the dominant aesthetic model, it is accepted, even in cases of serious illness.

Some could argue that that obessitiy is attacked on grounds of unhealthiness. However, heavy people are discriminated against more than
smokers, drinkers, bullimics and anorexics. Moreover, healthy heavy people are discriminated against more than thin unhealthy people.

Since aesthetic standards are not universal, but socially created, I wonder what is the social/economic explanation for promoting thinness? Could it have something to do with workforce productivity/cost? (just speculating)

Andres

>>> alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu 01/17/03 06:15AM >>>
Jody has mentioned that "weight is the last acceptable form of discrimination". Do people see any signs that this is beginning to change?
Daphne
Daphne Greenberg
Associate Director
Center for the Study of Adult Literacy
Georgia State University
University Plaza
Atlanta, GA 30303-3083
phone: 404-651-0127
fax:404-651-4901
dgreenberg@gsu.edu
>>> pjfern1@ix.netcom.com 01/16/03 10:49 AM >>>
Daphne,
Studies have shown weight is the last acceptable form of discrimination. As
hindsight is 20/20 it's easy to see what should have been said and done -
that the comment was unacceptable and hurtful, albeit unintentional.
I don't know what I would have done. By current medical standards, I am
considered "morbidly obese"at 5'2" and 158 pounds and a size 12-14. I don't
feel obese. But a comment made by me might be interpreted as jealousy of
thinner people. After all, many assume that obesity is a chosen condition
and if I had more self-control and exercised more, it would go away.
If there were another session, I would have definitely discussed it in the
context of all physical appearance.

Jody Fernandez
--- pjfern1@ix.netcom.com
The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be
indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
George Bernard Shaw