National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 651] Thank You

Soroui, Jaleh JSoroui at air.org
Mon Nov 6 11:19:01 EST 2006

Dear Daphne,

I know I can't speak on behalf of all NIFL lists participants, but in my
heart I know they all are grateful for your knowledge, wisdom, courage,
resourcefulness, as well as the time and energy that you put into
building this list to a significant resource for the field. I hope the
archives will still be available for people who want to focus their
attention on women literacy issues. When we started this list in
January 1999, we all knew there is a great need for understanding and
researching more about all aspects of issues related to women and
literacy. We needed to know more about the extent and impact of low
literacy among women (especially single mothers) on issues such as
improving education level of societies, on economic growth, raising
family, improving mental and physical health, on improving women human
rights and other factors. However, we were not sure how the field will
respond to the list and what direction the list will take. Daphne,
today, after eight years of your leadership, and approximately four
thousand postings and lively discussions on this list, as a filed we are
more aware, educated, resourceful about the above issues as well as
issues related to women-centered literacy instruction and professional
development. This is a significant achievement for you as the list
moderator and for our field and I hope that although the focus of the
new list is split into two different topics, the uniqueness of women
literacy will still be a major focus and in-depth discussion will result
in more sound policies, research and actions on this issue.

I need to say that it was a great honor for me to know you and to work
with you. You have been a source of hope and energy for me and I know
for many others as well.

Best Wishes for You.

Jaleh Behroozi Soroui

National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL)

American Institutes for Research 1

990 K Street, NW Suite 500

Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202/403-6958