National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 501] Re: RD: Bridges to Learning and Mutual Respect

sjrhodes at tampabay.rr.com sjrhodes at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 19 13:51:11 EDT 2006

I think that the systematic planning, including lesson plans relative to the local community and making connections with the community, to inform, support, and include or integrate the learner is what makes a program great. My school experience as 'observer' of the UMCM non-profit literacy workers, used many methods of teaching based on the learning needs, and created sub-groups within their program - But, the most important difference between a government funded and affiliated group in literacy training was the caring and mutual respect that developed over time. For example, this particular community was primarily of Mexican heritage, and for fun, the program holds a Cinco de Mayo celebration. Parents, Grandparents and friends in the community were invited and had a the kids put on planned a program, prior to the potluck dinner - The program was given in English and then repeated in the Spanish dialect, of the group. Respect and community involvement is the key to the s!
uccess of
Although, this close relationship with the community identity, developed by UMCM workers, led to an investigation and break in a refugee/child exploitation ring in Tampa, FL. This was carefully handled by the authorities, but the tip wouldn't have come out in a program, like Worknet Pinellas or any other program, in which a level of trust may not exist. Literacy workers build communities, and can make a direct influence of reporting violence, promoting self-sufficiency, and understanding of American citizenship. Our learners are not outsiders, if we can help them know how they can belong to a non-violent society and the worth of that there is power in literate/educated groups that can send their children to college, have their own businesses, or have grandmothers read to their children in English or Spanish - just a few examples of what occurs when there is mutual respect and trust in our literacy programs.
Shirley