National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 444] Re: update on read and discuss ideas

Ryan Hall ryanryanc at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 11:26:31 EDT 2006

Andrea,
Mev brought up a good point about Too Scared to Learn, which is the cost. I
paid either $42 or $47 for my copy three months ago from amazon.com. I
wouldn't have bought it except for the fact that I previewed another copy
and knew I really wanted it despite the cost. Many people in this listserv,
including myself, are not going to want to pay so much money for a book they
aren't sure they'll use OR they simply won't have the money to buy the book.
Either way, the cost for this book alone may exclude a lot of people on this
listserv who might otherwise participate in the discussion. And, I wonder,
too, how easy it would be for people who are not here in the US or Canada to
actually get the book. So, potentially there would be more exclusions.
I'm wondering if it would be better to discuss something else Jenny Horsman
has written (perhaps something on the internet that more people can get) and
then use the book as an optional resource for the discussion. What do you
think? Do you (or anyone else) have another idea on how this could work?
Ryan