National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 361] Re: math anxiety

Bertha Mo bertiemo at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 09:41:28 EDT 2006

Andrea and Mary Jane:

Thank you for your insights. I don't see the posting of the history of my math anxiety on this discussion. I never thought that math anxiety and lack of financial acumen might go together, but I certainly have both.

Andrea, I wondered if you'd share a blank copy of your expense form with me off line.

I'm also searching for a financial advisor. I made the mistake of going to someone who was "selling" a product and did horribly.

Bertie Mo

Andrea Wilder <andreawilder at comcast.net> wrote: Friends--

Small steps: 5 bank accounts for different purposes, I have done this
since I was first married, someone questioned this practice and i was
so embarrassed it took me a long while to talk about it again--years,
and then the person who I told it to thought it was a fabulous idea.

Calendar for library books--I mark the due dates. when I renew over
the phone, I mark on the card in the back the new date.

Spending records; I write down what I spend in cash. I seldom use a
credit card, I write checks. My "financial advisor" gave me work
sheets to fill out, and they were a breeze because I am so dogged about
expenses. She said a lot of people don't do what I do and this causes
havoc. So my kind of babyish habits drew praise. By the way, in my
looking around for a financial advisor, no one before her had given me
such detailed expense sheets to fill out.

When looking for services, I ask my friends who they use, then check
them out myself.

When doing taxes, I xerox and clip together my check stub info.

If someone who works for me botches up I job, I pay the person and hire
someone else. (This technique has caused my friends to question my
sanity, but if a person doesn't do a job properly then they won't be
able to do it properly the second time...)

And so on...I wonder if there might be occasions in math classes for
group discussion on techniques adult learners use to manage money?

Andrea

On Jun 23, 2006, at 7:04 AM, Mary Jane Schmitt wrote:

> Andrea's description of her personal numeracy development is so real

> and rich. Once a math professor of mine started the class with the

> question: "How can a boring, heartless subject like math evoke so much

> emotion?" I often think about that remark and maybe the answer is more

> complex than we had bad math instruction. However, since I am a math

> teacher, people do tend to share with me some horror stories about

> school math experiences that caused them to "check out" big time.

> When I read Andrea's story, I was interested in why one has to divide

> by 4 and then multiply by 3. Does the division by 4 get the quarterly

> expenses? What does the multiplication by 3 do? I think the answer to

> alleviating math anxiety/avoidance is to keep asking why -to keep

> sticking with the meaning behind the rules- if I know WHY you divide

> by 4, and then multiply by 3, and can picture it in my mind, I tend

> not to forget. It's memorizing rules I don't "get" that makes me feel

> anxious.

> Anyway, this morning I am finally getting it together to go to a

> financial advisor for post divorce advice. The meeting is in 2 hours

> and writing back to you is one way to avoid stuff- hmm have to go -

> there's so much lint on my rugs and I would rather pick that than face

> the REAL math music. I have noticed that many people who say they are

> bad at math are great handling their money and a lot of math types are

> not so great (case in point). I think the two types could learn a lot

> from one another.

> Yours in the struggle,

> Mary Jane Schmitt

> Andrea Wilder

> Sent by: womenliteracy-bounces at nifl.gov

> 06/22/06 05:42 PM

> Please respond to

> The Women and Literacy Discussion List

> The Women and Literacy Discussion List

> cc

> Subject

> [WomenLiteracy 352] Re: math anxiety

> Friends--

> What I can contribute is personal experience, but why not, it

> probably

> shows what numbers can do.

> Soon after I separated from my husband income tax time came around. I

> knew i couldn't do the math, but even assembling the documents was

> overwhelming. i ended up on the rug of my rented apartment crying

> and

> picking fuzz off the rug.

> A couple of years later I had mastered the assemblage of documents,

> but

> i neglected to send in the completed forms until I got a letter from

> the IRS.

> Now, because i am a small business, I have to divide my expenses into

> 4ths and multiply by 3. I was so put together this year that I have

> even put the little coupons in their envelopes--stamped--and written

> down the reminders of tax time on my calendar.

> Turns out I am POWERFULLY MOTIVATED to save money, so I put in the

> [...]

Women and Literacy mailing list
WomenLiteracy at nifl.gov