National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 234] Re: WE LEARN Conference

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Fri Mar 24 10:13:23 EST 2006

Ujwala--

We're probably keeping men out. Also, women are devalued, so going to
a woman's conference would I think be seen as slightly icky and
crossing a line.. Hard to say this, but I think this is true.

Also, as women we tend to pull into shells in "mixed" situations.

There are MEN on this list, so maybe they will speak up--THANKS SAMUEL
for asking your question! You kind of opened a floodgate!!

Andrea

On Mar 24, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Ujwala Samant wrote:

> [...]

> Regards,

> Ujwala

> --- Andrea Wilder <andreawilder at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Ujwala and Samuel--

>> I thought about this topic deeply yesterday. I am

>> so glad that Ujwala

>> has said what she said, otherwise I'm like a voice

>> crying in the

>> wilderness, as scripture would have it.

>> The language is different and meanings are

>> understood differently by

>> men and women. The "presentation of self" is

>> different.

>> I'm usually on the emotional/analytic side of

>> discussions, and this is

>> a different female way of responding in discussions.

>> My impression is

>> that the standard mode of discussion as experienced

>> by men, and as put

>> forward in psychology textbooks, is for

>> emotions/analysis to be put

>> at two ends of a spectrum. Men and women are then

>> placed somewhere on

>> this line.

>> I have often/many times/some times been thought of

>> as overly emotional

>> and consequently not listened to by men. True

>> story. That male way

>> of listening lost me a bundle of money once.. The

>> lawyer didn't listen

>> to me, was surprised by an outcome, and had to admit

>> he had been wrong.

>> This has happened also on NIFL list servs. It's

>> DEEPLY DEEPLY

>> STUPID, especially in a field with many women, not

>> to access women's

>> way of seeing, observing, and concluding. I was

>> once ridiculed for

>> this by a man, and I had to deck him, verbally, to

>> get him to listen to

>> me. Fortunately, neither a job nor money nor

>> romance hinged on this

>> encounter.

>> I just looked for an article(Chronicle of Higher Ed)

>> about Laurel

>> Ulrich, 67, a history scholar and now a university

>> professor at

>> Harvard--the top place in Harvard's academic

>> hierarchy. She is

>> married, has 5 children and grandchildren. She

>> speaks as a woman,

>> illustrating how by following a woman's way she made

>> it to the top of

>> the heap at the University just down the street from

>> me. Example: she

>> took her dissertation topic from the surrounding

>> countryside of New

>> Hampshire, because she didn't want to be away from

>> her children. On

>> one of my trips around the neighborhood I saw where

>> she and her husband

>> live, and I will write her a letter. Believe, me,

>> she will immediately

>> be asked for speeches on the women's lecture

>> circuit.

>> That's enough for now. Thanks, Ujwala, and thanks

>> Samuel.

>> Andrea

>> On Mar 24, 2006, at 2:59 AM, Ujwala Samant wrote:

>>> 1. It's not even looking for men's attention, but

>> more

>>> than that the 'space' is more evenly distributed.

>> In a

>>> mixed/male-directed conference, floor space is

>> often

>>> taken over by men. And since adult education has a

>> lot

>>> of male gurus, women's space is clearly

>> delineated.

>>> 2. Very few true 'minglers' are organised. The

>> evening

>>> drinks and cheese receptions are so outdated and

>> de

>>> passe, that I end up trying to organise something

>>> myself which involves meeting people I want to

>> meet

>>> and talk to. It is always a pleasure to meet and

>> talk

>>> to people one knows as names on the various

>> listservs.

>>> Our field is dwindling even if the need for our

>> work

>>> is on the rise, and the better we know our

>> colleagues

>>> (male and female), the better for the longevity of

>> our

>>> profession and our learners.

>>> 3. Even the kind of food served is different. When

>> we

>>> had a female president of an organisation in NJ

>> whose

>>> board I was on organised lunch we could tell the

>>> difference: The meat heavy or premade sandwiches

>> were

>>> gone. In their place was a smaller, but nicer

>>> selection of hot and cold platters to choose from

>> and

>>> vegetables and fruit were not mere garnishes or an

>>> unrecognisable green mass to be sidelined. Over

>> food,

>>> people actually find the time to sit down and talk

>>> their colleagues and find out what is happenening

>> in

>>> the field. In the case of We Learn, such mingling

>> and

>>> catching up with old friends was encouraged and

>> space

>>> was provided to do just that. Most times our

>>> conferences are packed (as We Learn was) and the

>>> inclusion of such time was invaluable.

>>> 3. I think more of us (men and women) ought to

>> attend

>>> We Learn, they would enjoy it and see a different

>> sort

>>> of conference, one on which future (and larger)

>>> conferences could be modelled. The only other

>> meeting

>>> that came close to We Learn was one organised in

>>> Portland.

>>> 4. There were some 'greats' there at last year's

>>> conference. And despite that, there was less/no

>> top

>>> down hierarchy one sees when conferences are

>>> male-focused.

>>> 5. Another important point: the serious inclusion

>> of

>>> adult learners. As someone pointed out, We Learn

>>> includes adult learners. I've made this point

>> before

>>> that we tend to now pay lip service to our adult

>>> learners. We either romanticise them or distance

>> them.

>>> We do not really listen to them. And a lot of it

>> is

>>> because of the circumstances our field is in:

>> policy

>>> dictates it, funding demands it. At We Learn,

>> awards

>>> were not important: their voices and opinions

>> were.

>>> These are my impressions from last year and which

>> is

>>> why I regret having missed it this year. Just to

>> be

>>> clear, this was not a wishy washy, coffee klatch

>>> conference. I'd recommend more people attend it to