National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 568] Re: Remarks by the President and Mrs. Bush at WhiteHouse Conference on Global

Ujwala Samant lalumineuse at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 08:16:09 EDT 2006

Also interesting is the following passage:

>>I also strongly believe that those of us who have

the benefits of
living in
free society must help others realize the benefits of
liberty. I
believe
that. I believe that's part of America's
responsibility in the world.
realize we can't impose our vision of government, nor
should we try.<<

So when will he stop imposing what is seen as freedom
and human rights to the world? And not all of us agree
in the American version of a free society, having
lived there, pre and post 9/11. Does the man realise
that there are 'free' societies outside of the US? And
that we ALL have a responsibility of listening to
different definitions of freedom, civil liberties, not
just Uncle Sam's or Uncle George's in this case?

>>But we
believe here in America in the universality of
freedom. We don't
believe
freedom belongs only to the United States of America;
we believe that
liberty is universal in its applications. We also
believe strongly
that
as
the world becomes more free, we'll see peace. That's
what we believe.
And
we're going to act on those beliefs.<<

And yet, "we" do not believe in glabal collaboration
unless it's on 'our' terms. "We" also do not believe
in international justice, the Geneva Convention, the
use (or not) of torture......

And these remarks were particularly offensive:

"I am deeply concerned about the spread of
radicalism, and I know you
are, as
well. We long for the days when people don't feel
comfortable or
empowered
to take innocent life to achieve an objective. One
reason radicals are
able
to recruit young men, for example, to become suicide
bombers, is
because of
hopelessness. One way to defeat hopelessness is
through literacy, is
giving people the fantastic hope that comes by being
able to read and
realize dreams.<<

A number of the Islamic, Irish, Hindu, Nepali,
Congolese, Sri Lankan 'radicals' were educated. A
greater number were unemployed. And a number dislike
American international policy. He completely left out
the conservative Bible Belt and the everyday racism
that is experienced by non Bible thumpers in the
South. He left out the KKK, he left out the lynch
mobs.... the police, one could go on.

>>So this literacy initiative is vital as far as the
United States of
America
is concerned, and we want to help. That's what I'm
here to say. I want
thank you for being here and let you know that we
want to lend our
help.<<

"Just follow our directives and we'll be glad to help,
Amen."

Ujwala Samant

--- Elsa Auerbach <Elsa.Auerbach at umb.edu> wrote:

> Interesting. The President says, "The capacity of

> -- the simple act of teaching a child to read, or an

> adult to read has the capacity to transform nations

> and yield the peace we all want." If literacy

> yields peace, then maybe someone ought to teach him

> to read.

> Elsa Auerbach

=== message truncated ===>