National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 534] Re: the other

Ryan Hall ryanryanc at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 19:58:32 EDT 2006

I think we have to be very careful how much we generalize our own experience
with violence. While I think that acknowledging the fact that we have all
suffered some type of violence and even inflicted some type of violence on
others may shed some light on how common violence is in our society, how we
are all susceptible to it, and how survivors and perps. really aren't the
"other," we must be very careful how we transfer our own experiences to
those of our learners. We must not forget that violence takes on many forms
and that what we have experienced may not compare to what our learners have
experienced or continue to experience. Or, that the way we were able to deal
with the violence in our lives is something that our learners should be able
to do. Limiting the definition of violence and trauma is a risk we take when
looking at ourselves as the survivor and/or perp. In this case, it might
very well dilute the importance and impact of severe abuse on learning. What
do others think about Daphne's question? I am very interested in hearing
your opinions.
Ryan