National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 404] Re: Numeracy

Lynda Ginsburg ginsburg at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 29 11:10:08 EDT 2006

We usually think about emotion/feelings/affect related to math as "math
anxiety" -- that fear of engaging with anything that has to do with
numbers. But Mev's description of mathematical exploration addresses
another kind of math related emotion that is rarely addressed --
frustration.

Many people seem to believe that when others try to solve math problems
(whether "typical" word problems or more complex, real problems) they
immediately know what to do and how to do it. Maybe this comes from
years of teachers standing at the board presenting problems from
beginning to end, never showing students a process that may include
false starts, selecting a strategy that is non-productive, having to
start over, having to work backwards, etc. And watching the students who
get or "see" those particular answers right away just emphasizes the
notion that the answer or methodology should just pop into your head.

But what really happens often is a feeling of frustration when you hit a
wall, or at least a stumbling block. And this, for absolutely everyone,
even research mathematicians studying arcane theoretical math, leads to
feelings of frustration. The issue is, what do you do with that
frustration? Learners, and everyone for that matter, need to realize
that there are alternative responses to that feeling of frustration.
Some people cut and run, and then say, "I can't do this and never will
be able to." Others might say, "I will just start again and try
something different this time." Others might really get fired up in
response to the frustration, and say, "I will figure this out if it's
the last thing I do!"

Talking about frustration and alternative responses to it is probably at
least as important as talking about "math anxiety."

Best,
Lynda
--

Lynda Ginsburg